Request Free Info
Please fill out the form below and one of our executives will get in touch
The Gateway Connection:
- Family owned & operated partnership based in Canada
- Professional head office personnel in all areas of category & district management, merchandising & operations
- Prime retail locations including key transit systems, major office towers & high traffic shopping malls
- Established in 1983
- Over 500 stores in North America
- Locations in 8 Canadian provinces with dominance in Ontario
- Exclusive newsstand retailer in North America’s third largest transit system – the TTC
- Over 150 US locations with concentration in New York & Chicago
- 100% owner/franchise operation
- Strong head office support
- Mandated merchandising programs for all categories
- Consistently rated among North America’s Top 100 Franchises by Entrepreneur magazines
- Gateway Newstands currently is franchisor to over 500 Gateway Newstands, leasing space for 75 square feet to 700 square feet in high traffic, easily accessed lobby locations in high rise office towers, transit locations and shopping centres in Canada and the USA.
- Basically, Gateway is a convenience store operating out of kiosks and in-line stores in large office buildings, shopping centres, and transit locations, selling tobacco and related products, lottery tickets, confectionary, newspapers, magazines, pocket books, cards, gifts, hot & cold beverages, snack foods, food products and other related needs.
- The major strength of this franchise relates primarily to its traditional merchandising, featuring nationally advertised, pre-packaged, ever day consumer needs sold to a captive population generally with an exclusive use clause for its merchandising for the full term of the lease and options thereof.
- Gateway provides the franchisee with a prime location and leasehold improvements, fixtures, equipment, and operations expertise. For this service the franchisee pays Gateway a franchise fee, and reimburses it for the cost of the leasehold improvements, furniture and equipment.
- The development community has recognized the value of locating a Gateway store in their projects and consequently, Gateway is currently in the process of evaluating 80 future locations in prime buildings from Halifax to Vancouver in the Canadian market place, and from New York to Los Angeles in the US.
- Aggressive management at Gateway has been successful in cultivating a market niche, previously ignored by corporations, and thereby has created a virtual lock on potential sites by establishing itself as the foremost newsstand operation.
- Gateway Newstands provides the individual franchisee with a turnkey operation in a location that he would not be able to secure on his own. Gateway has excellent relationship with potential landlords that the typical franchisee could not hope to achieve. In addition, the co-ordination of the construction of the leasehold improvements is also provided to the franchisee. This coordination is also a skill that the franchisee does not normally possess.
- The working hours for a Gateway location in office towers and some transit locations are less demanding (7:30 to 6:00) than most convenience store locations. Consequently, there is a high demand for Gateway franchises by experienced operators as well as by high quality operators who would not normally be attracted to a convenience store operation because of the long hours.
- Gateway now has an established record with major developers, having an extensive number of established locations throughout North America.
- Unlike its competitors, Gateway will adapt the outlet fixturing and design to fit in with the design of the building. This is appreciated by the developers.
- Finally, and most importantly, Gateway is not vulnerable to significant operational problems. Gateway is a simple turnkey franchise operation. It has resisted the temptation to provide additional services (e.g. warehousing, etc.) to franchisees after start-up for additional royalties. Traditionally, the extra service areas have left franchisors vulnerable to operational problems leading to a significant impact on profits and returns.
- Gateway is totally franchised, and does not operate corporate units. Franchisees are obtained primarily by referral in major cities like Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, and Philadelphia, although periodic advertising is necessary to increase the selection of good quality potential operators of the company's business. The Gateway franchise system has proven to be a successful business proposition.
- The owners are fully knowledgeable and experienced in every facet of their trade, and have developed long-standing relationships with the leaders of the industry.
- Store fit-up, and construction is tendered, and let to the lowest qualified bidder. Currently, Gateway sources leasehold improvements through a number of competing suppliers. Gateway management assists franchisees to inventory the units, and obtain necessary permits to operate the company's business. Legals, documentation, and supervision, are handled in house with minimal staff. Sales reports are taken monthly from electronic cash registers to determine royalty percentages.
- The Franchisees operates by way of a Sublease signed by the Landlord principal, which affords the franchisee with all the rights and obligations of the franchisors head Lease.
- The future for Gateway is bright since the Company is expanding at a faster rate than any competitors. The Franchisee operator has a vested interest in promoting the store sales and customer satisfaction. This level of service is difficult to duplicate with corporate staff and therefore, the Gateway Store, will continue to be a pleasant shopping experience our customers, and a successful addition to any new or existing office, retail or transit development.
- We welcome you to call our head office to obtain more information or to meet with a franchise sales representative.